Complaints related to overgrown weeds, grass, bushes or trees at a property or lot are handled by the Visalia Fire Department - Prevention Division. Report these by completing the Code Enforcement Complaint Form or by calling the Abatement Hotline at 559-713-4207.
What is a Weed?
“Weeds” means all undesired plants of rank or profuse growth growing upon streets, alleys, sidewalks or private property in the city and including, but not limited to, any of the following:
- Weeds which bear or may bear seeds of a wing or downy nature;
- Weeds and indigenous grasses which may attain such large growth as to become, when dry, a fire menace to adjacent property;
- Weeds which are otherwise noxious or dangerous;
- Poison oak and poison ivy when the conditions of growth are such as to constitute a menace to public health. (Prior code § 4530) MC 8.56.01
Weeds are an issue when they create the following problems:
- fire hazards to structures;
- visual hazards to motor traffic, bicyclists or pedestrians;
- physical hazards to motor traffic, bicyclists or pedestrians;
- are producing seeds that will be dispersed;
- an impediment in the right-of-way; or
- an impediment to drainage
For additional information related to Weed Abatement Click Here.