Practicing recycling is important and helpful to reducing the amount of waste sent to local landfill. By reducing, reusing, and recycling our waste we are helping to create a cleaner and healthier Visalia for future generations.
It’s EASY. Recycling in the home, school, and workplace can be easy and convenient. Build in smart shopping habits to reduce the amount of food you waste. It’s easy to use a rag to wipe spills rather than a disposable towel or a cloth bag that can be constantly reused to shop for groceries. The City of Visalia has convenient curbside recycling through the split can program for paper, plastic, cardboard, bottles, and cans. The City/County also sponsors a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility that will take back your used oil, automotive and household batteries, florescent light bulbs, and cell phones for recycling. In addition, many retail stores will take back recycling items such as electronic computers, monitors and TVs and other electronic waste items. There are recycling opportunities everywhere that are easy and convenient to do everyday. Click on E-Waste for information on local recyclers.
- Saves money. You can save money by smart shopping to reduce waste, reusing materials, and buying recycled products. You can also make money by turning in your bottles and cans.
- Creates jobs. Recycling is big business in California. It is a mainstream industry of statewide importance accounting for approximately 85,000 jobs and producing $10 billion in products and services per year.
- Saves energy. A lot of energy is needed to make products. Energy is saved by reducing or reusing the amount of products we need to buy. Recycling also frequently saves energy because it can take less energy to clean or convert materials. For example, less energy is required to produce a gallon of re-refined oil than creating new oil.
- Saves natural resources. Reducing, reusing, and recycling materials help prevents the need to cut down new materials such as trees or digging into new mines. Also, it saves natural resources by not creating new landfills to hold new waste. Reducing, reusing, and recycling materials eliminates the need to build the equivalent of one new large landfill each year in California.
Free Commercial Solid Waste/Recycling Assessment
The City of Visalia offers FREE Solid Waste assessments to all it’s commercial/industrial/institutional customers. Commercial Recycling can lower the cost of doing business by reducing expenses on solid waste services. Participation in the program includes:
Implementation of the cost-effective recommendation is encouraged, and in many cases, the changes are eligible for incentive programs. If you are interested in scheduling a FREE Commercial Waste Assessment contact the City's Natural Resource Conservation Division at: 713-4532 or email email@example.com.
- Making staff available to provide a walk-through tour of the business or facility, discussing recycling process & practices.
- Answering follow-up questions by telephone as necessary for the completion of your custom commercial service recommendation.
- Most assessments take less than one hour to complete.