Low Graphics Version
HomeAbout Visalia
SearchFAQsCity GovernmentDepartments
Contact Us
Homepage > FAQs > Questions and AnswersPrint friendly format
Do I still have to license my dog or cat even if they have a microchip?
Yes, you still have to license your animal even if they are microchip and they must wear that license when out in public.  One of the benefits of licensing is that a neighbor or motorist who finds a lost animal can call the shelter to identify that animal's owner using the tag.  A microchip can only be traced by a shelter, vet or animal control officer.  Licensing reunites the animals with their owner, as well as saving the animal a trip to the shelter, where the owner would have to pay impound fees and a fine to redeem their pet. 
How do I replace my dog or cats license tag(s)?
Replacement tags are $1.00 for both dog and cats for City of Visalia and for dogs in the City of Dinuba.  The tag must be current; if it is not current then you must pay the regular license fee and maybe a penalty fee.
How long does it take to receive a license once it's been paid for?
It can take up to 20 days before you receive a license in the mail.  There is a delay on licensing if the information is incomplete or missing. 
How long is the license good for and when does it expire?
Since City of Visalia by law cannot issue a license for any pet whose vaccination will expire before the license expires, the starting date of a pet license is always adjusted to the first day of the vaccination month, and thereby ensuring that the vaccination will expire after the license expires. For example if your dog was vaccinated in June, but you did not purchase the license until any months following June, your license would run from June of that year to June of the following year. 
I adopted a dog and or cat from Valley Oak SPCA and live in City limits of Visalia or Dinuba, and haven’t received my tag?
If you adopted a companion animal from Valley Oak SPCA and still haven’t received a tag for that animal we need the following information before a tag can be issued; proof that your new companion has been spayed or neutered and a copy of the rabies certificate.  If you already mailed that information to us then please contact the licensing department at (559) 713-4686.
I have a dangerous animal, snake on my property
Contact 559-713-4957.
I have a problem with barking dogs
Contact the Visalia Police Department at (559) 713-4957.
I have a problem with bees
Contact  Jeff Fultz at (559) 713-4426.
I have a problem with rats & other pests
Contact Tulare County Environmental Health at (559) 733-6441.
I have a stray cat
Contact  (559) 713-4957.
I have lost my pet
Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.
I paid for a tag at my vets office and received a license tag to put on his collar. Isn't that a license tag?
The tag you receive from the veterinarian is a rabies tag.   If by chance your pet got lost a rabies tag would not be a form of identification.
I paid for a tag but I haven’t received it?
If you paid for a tag and you mailed it to us but have not received it , this is probably because your pet is due for a new rabies vaccination.  If you are not sure please call our office immediately at (559) 651-1111 or (559) 713-4686 for more information.
I want to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits)
Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700
I want to report a stray dog / cat
Contact  (559) 713-4957.
I want to report an abused pet
Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.
I want to volunteer to work with animals
Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.
Is my personal information made public after I submit my license application?
We do not distribute or sell contact information for pet owners.  The contact information you provide is used to reunite you with your pet, should your pet become lost and found.  Licensing can help prevent your pet from unnecessarily being picked up by Animal Control officers and impounded at the shelter.  For example, if your pet is found by a neighbor and the neighbor calls the shelter with your dog or cat license number, our licensing clerk will than give the caller the contact information on the license tag.  The neighbor may choose to return the dog to you directly and this can save you from hassles and an impound fee at the shelter. 
Only responsible pet owners license their dogs/cats. The dog/cat owners who really burden the system won't. How is that fair to responsible owners?
Irresponsible pet owners who do let their dogs run loose will face the reality of enforcement -- not just on the roaming dog issue, but now on licensing as well . This will help officers track and regulate repeat offenders and dangerous animals.
What happens if I don't get a dog license for my dog?
Enforcement will vary depending on the situation.  In most cases, an animal control officer who contacts you and your pet (for any number of reasons) and finds that the animal is not licensed may issue a summons and fine.  Some animal control officers may observe a grace period following the summons wherein an owner may purchase a license and avoid paying the fine.
What is rabies?
Rabies is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system. The virus is usually passed to humans via the bite of a rabid animal. Occasionally rabies can be transmitted if the saliva of an infected animal gets into a fresh scratch, break in the skin, or contact with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose). In California, most cases of rabies occur in skunks and bats. Domestic animals account for three percent of animal rabies, and the rest occurs in a variety of wild animals, including foxes.  Rabies can be prevented by being a responsible pet owner. Keep rabies vaccinations up-to-date for all cats and dogs. Spay or neuter your pets to help reduce the number of unwanted pets, that may not be properly cared for or vaccinated regularly.  Lastly, call animal control to remove all stray animals from your neighborhood since these animals may be unvaccinated or ill.  To find out more information about rabies you can visit www.cdc.gov
When my dog gets a rabies shot, does my vet notify Valley Oak SPCA? If so, why do I have to mail in a copy of the certificate?
Yes, local veterinarians notify the licensing department of all dogs who receive a rabies vaccine.  It is the owner's responsibility to mail the rabies certificate within 30 days of the shot before a penalty will be applied.  Once we receive that information it can take up to 3 months before any rabies information is updated or entered in our computer software program
Where are the dog parks?
Seven Oaks Park
900 Edison Plaza Park
Plaza & Airport Drive
Visalia, CA
Where can I get my pet spayed or neutered?
Contact Valley Oak SPCA Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic at (559) 741-1121.
Where do I get a hunting license?
Call Parks & Recreation at (559) 713-4365 for Hunter Safety Course information.
Where do I get a license for my dog / cat?
Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.
Where is the animal shelter?

How To Get to Valley Oak SPCA
29016 Highway 99, Visalia
1.5 miles north of Caldwell Ave. (280) on frontage road (Dia. 85)

click on blue pin for directions

Show all Categories
Home | About Visalia | Search | FAQ's | Government | Departments | Contact UsPowered by Civica Software