Low Graphics Version
HomeAbout Visalia
SearchFAQsCity GovernmentDepartments
Contact Us
Homepage > FAQs > Questions and AnswersPrint friendly format
What are my responsibilities for the container?
City of Visalia City Trash Ordinance states that all citizens must bag their garbage for rodent control and must recycle.
What do I do if my container is damaged?
If your container is damaged, please call the Customer Care Center...(855) 203-1315 to report damages. The container will be repaired or replaced free of charge.

If any container is burned, it is the sole responsibility of the property owner to pay for the damaged or replacement can. Please call the Customer Care Center at (855) 203-1315 for charges.
What do I do if my container is not clean?
As a new tenant, you can exchange your used containers for clean ones. Do not use water to clean your container, as the City's Water Conservation Ordinance prohibits waste of water. If you wish to have your can cleaned, we will clean them for a fee.  Please call Customer Care at 1-855-203-1315 to arrange for this service.
What if I am a senior citizen?
Low Income Senior Discount are available and are based on age and income. See link below for more information.
What if I am disabled?
We offer FREE Pack Out Services for those residents who are physically unable to roll the container to the curb. Pack Out Service is based on medical documentation. This service is available for one split container and one refuse container. The application is available online at https://visalia.gwfathom.com or by calling our toll free Customer Care number 1-855-203-1315.

Pack Out service is also provided for a fee for those who would like it, but don't require it due to disability.  Please call toll free the Customer Care Center at 1-855-203-1315 for rates or to order this service.
What if I have a larger clean-up job?

For a fee, we have temporary bins for your convenience. Containers are available in 2-yard, 15-yard (cement/dirt), 20-yard, 30-yard, 40-yard (green waste) sizes.

Go to Solid Waste Programs on this website for a Fee Schedule.

What if I have extra items for pickup?

Curbside Specials are designed for you to eliminate that extra stuff you have been keeping for years. This service is available for up to 3 times a year per residence and a total of 30 items. All items must be bagged, bundled, or boxed. 

Each item (bag, box, or bundle) must not more than 4’ in any direction; not more than 25# per item.  Over 30 items in one year will be charged at $1.00 per additional item.  Extra empties of either of your cans as a curbside special counts as 10 items.

Please note:  We will not pick up loose debris. 

To schedule your FREE Curbside Special, call...1-855-203-1315.

Additional pickups are available for a fee. Call 1-855-203-1315 for additional information.

What should I do if I move?
The containers are assigned to the property address. If you move, you must leave the containers at that address. Call the City Utility Customer Care Center toll free at 1-855-203-1315 to remove your name as the responsible party for payment.
When do I place my container for collection?
To assure collection, place your container curbside or in the alley by 6:00 a.m. the day of collection. (Do not place it any earlier than 7:00 p.m. the day before collection.)

Please help your community's appearance by rolling your refuse container back from the curb after collection no later than 6:30 p.m. on the day of collection.

For curbside collection, place the containers next to your driveway, within 1 foot of the curb, with the handle facing your house.  Do not put your container on the sidewalk as this will impede foot traffic, and is a violation of the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Take care to place the container 2 feet or more away from obstructions such as fences, lamp posts, basketball hoops, or mailboxes. Place containers 2 feet from each other.

Place cans where there is a 15-foot overhead clearance. 

ALLEYS - There is no longer alley trash service in the City of Visalia.

Your collection days may be changed due to holidays. Call Solid Waste for a copy...(855) 203-1315 or visit https:visalia.gwfathom.com.
Where can I dispose of my motor oil and hazardous waste?
Household hazardous waste may be disposed FREE of charge at the Visalia Hazardous Waste Collection Site located at at 335 N. Cain St. The site is open Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m except Dump On Us days in January, April, July, and October (see "Events").

This service is available for all Tulare County residents. For more information, call Tulare County Environmental Health...(559) 627-7400 or the City of Visalia Natural Resource Conservation Division at 713-4531.
Where do I report dead animals?
Dead animals are reported to Animal Control Dispatch at 713-4957.
Why did I receive a yellow, red, blue, green, or purple tag on my container?
Yellow Tag - The recyclable side of the split container is contaminated with garbage. Click here Divided Can Flyer - English / Divided Can Flyer - Spanish to view a    list of items allowed in the recyclable side of your split-can.

Red Tag - The yard waste container is contaminated with garbage.  Click here Yard Waste – Compost Flyer to view a list of what is acceptable in the compost can.

Green Tag – Your can was blocked by a basketball hoop.  The first time we will empty and tag your can.  The 2nd time we will not empty the can.  Basketball hoops must be kept away from your cans on trash days.

There could be a charge for emptying a contaminated divided or yard waste can, or to come back because your can was blocked.

Blue Tag - There was a problem with emptying your can unrelated to contamination.

Purple Tag Purple tags are usually left on your can to give information relating to holiday schedule changes.  You may call 1-855-203-1315 to have a holiday schedule mailed to you, or click here  Holiday Schedule
Show all Categories
Home | About Visalia | Search | FAQ's | Government | Departments | Contact UsPowered by Civica Software